I am a Homeowner who is 65+ years old, do I Qualify for any Tax Breaks?

A Homeowner who is 65 years of age or older, and who's income is under a certain amount, is qualified for the following tax breaks:

The Elderly/Disabled Homeowner Program: Runs between February 1 and May 15 each year. The applicant must be 65 years of age to apply or any age if they are permanently and totally disabled and qualify with the state income limits.

Please bring a copy of your form 1040 and/or form SSA-1099 when applying. This program is also called the Circuit Breaker Program and must be filed every two years.  Along with the Homeowner’s age or disability requirements, they must fall within the income limits (these limits change every year, so contact the Assessor’s Office for this information). If you are unsure if you qualify for the upcoming year, please call the Assessor’s Office 860-399-3016 or 860-399-3045.

To apply for this, please see the Homeowner's Benefit Application document [Original Size].

The Senior Tax Freeze Program: Wherein your taxes can be frozen the first year you qualify. From then on, as long as your income criteria does not exceed the state income limits, and you do not increase the value of your home by way of additions or outbuildings, your taxes will not increase. If a Homeowner is on the Elderly Homeowner Program (Circuit Breaker), their taxes can be frozen and the forgiven taxes do NOT have to be repaid when they sell their home.

For more detailed information, please see the Tax Benefit Freeze form document [Original Size].

If the Homeowner does not qualify for the Circuit Breaker Program, the Homeowner may still qualify for the Freeze Program; however, a lien in the amount of deferral will be placed on the property along with 3% interest per annum from the date the taxes would have been due. Applicants must agree to reimbursement of the total amount of such deferral benefit plus interest payable upon death or conveyance.

The total income is calculated from the IRS 1040 form line 6a social security benefits, and line 9 total income. If the applicant does not file an income tax return and has social security as their only yearly income, then a copy of the form SSA-1099 – Social Security Benefit Statement will be required, along with any other 1099s received for the year.

Show All Answers

1. How do I Remove a Motor Vehicle from the Grand List?
2. I am a Veteran, do I Qualify for any Tax Breaks?
3. I am a Homeowner who is 65+ years old, do I Qualify for any Tax Breaks?
4. I am Totally Disabled, do I qualify for any Tax Breaks?
5. I am a Business Owner in Westbrook, when is my Personal Property Declaration Due in to the Assessor's Office?
6. I am the Owner of a Business that I Closed, Sold or Moved to Another Town, How do I Remove my Business From the Grand List?