Today on 04/25/2017
12:00am - 12:00am
12:00am - 12:00am
Town Hall Hours
Mon - Wed / 9:00am - 4:00pm
Thu / 9:00am - 7:00pm
Fri / 9:00am - Noon
2017 HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
MAY 29TH MEMORIAL DAY
JULY 4TH INDEPENDENCE DAY
SEPTEMBER 4TH LABOR DAY
OCTOBER 9TH COLUMBUS DAY
NOVEMBER 10TH VETERANS DAY**
NOVEMBER 23RD THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY
NOVEMBER 24TH THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY
DECEMBER 22ND CHRISTMAS EVE DAY
DECEMBER 25th CHRISTMAS DAY
**Thursday, November 9th Close at 4:00 p.m.
New Emergency Notification System
Census data shows that almost 20% of All Westbrook housing is rental.
The Westbrook Fair Rent Commission provides a no expense information and mediation service for Westbrook tenants and landlords. If a resolution cannot be obtained, with the exception of seasonal rentals, the commission, upon formal application by the tenant, will hold a hearing with both the tenant and landlord and determine, if appropriate, temporary or permanent rental adjustments under the following 14 factors the Fair Rent Commission can legally consider.
- The health and safety conditions of your rental.
- The rents charged for similar apartments in the area.
- The number of bathtubs or showers, toilets, kitchen sinks and bathroom sinks in your apartment;
- Services (such as utilities, furniture, furnishings and equipment) supplied by the landlord;
- The size and number of bedrooms in your apartment;
- The repairs needed to make your apartment livable;
- The amount of taxes and other expenses of the landlord;
- Whether your apartment complies with the housing code and State statutes relating to health and safety;
- Your income and whether there are other apartments you can afford;
- What utilities you have in your apartment and whether you or your landlord pays for them;
- Damages, other than ordinary wear and tear, which you have caused to the apartment;
- How much the landlord has raised your rent in the past;
- How much of the rent increase will be used to improve your apartment and the building
- Extra fees and charges are also covered.
Manufactured home complexes, trailer parks and town
operated rentals are included. Note - Fair Rent has nothing to do with Rent
Control — which does not exist in
No one wants a hearing. The focus of the Westbrook Fair Rent Commission is to resolve the issue to the satisfaction of both the tenant and landlord and insure the comfort, health and safety of Westbrook residents.
If the Commission determines, after a separate hearing, that a landlord has retaliated in any manner against a tenant because the tenant has complained to the commission, the commission may order the landlord to cease and desist from such conduct which is enforceable by the court if necessary.