One of the main functions of the Planning Commission is developing and adopting the Plan of Conservation and Development (POCD). The current plan was completed in 2011 plan (PDF) and provides the framework for guiding growth to maintain and improve Westbrook in ways its citizens find most desirable.
All proposed municipal improvements, special permit applications and proposed amendments to the Zoning Regulations are reviewed for consistency with the plan. While the recommendations in the Plan of Conservation and Development are advisory, basing decisions for the town’s future on a comprehensive plan increases the likelihood of retaining qualities that make the town special and attaining desired goals.
By state statute, the plan must be updated every 10 years in order to be eligible for state discretionary funding. The Commission and a POCD sub-committee are currently working on the 2021 POCD.
Subdivision of Land
The Commission has regulatory jurisdiction over the subdivision of land. Subdivision is defined as the division of a tract or parcel of land into 3 or more lots. The subdivision regulations are intended to ensure that land, when subdivided can be used for building purposes without danger to health and safety or degradation of the environment.
An important component of subdivision plans is the laying out of new town roads and designation of Open Space within new residential developments.
- 7 p.m.
- 2nd Monday of every month
- Mulvey Municipal Center
866 Boston Post Road
Westbrook, CT 06498
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes can always be viewed in the Planning, Zoning and Development office.
- PLANNING 2020 App Closing and Meeting Dates
- Information Required on Maps and Plans (PDF)
- Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan - 2014 (PDF)
- Westbrook, CT Natural Hazard Mitigation Update 10-18-2019
- Plan of Conservation and Development - 2011 (PDF)
- Planning Commission Application - Fillable (PDF)
- Planning Commission Application - Revised December 21, 2015 (PDF)
- Road and Drainage Standards (PDF)
- Sidewalk Plan Adopted 081219
- Subdivision Regulations (PDF)
- Town Cetner Vision Plan - Revised (PDF)
All Board meetings except for Executive Sessions are open to the public.
|Marilyn Ozols||(D) CH||11/05/2025|
|William Neal||(D) Vice Chair||11/03/2023|
|Phil Bassett||(R) Secretary||11/04/2021|
|Marie Farrell||(D) Alt||01/01/2022|
|Sheryl Becker||(U) Alt||01/01/2022|
|Richard Newberg||(R) Alt||01/01/2022|